Monday 10 January 2011

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Title: Glimmerglass
Author: Jenna Black
Publisher: Griffin US
Published: July 2010
ISBN: 978-0312575939
Author's Website: http://www.jennablack.com

Rating 5/5


I adore this cover.  I love the background, and the about-face reflection, it's really stunning in the flesh.  I only wish I'd read this sooner, as it's a stunning book.

From the outset I felt empathy for Dana, as we're given immediate insight into her mum's alcoholism and lifestyle, which has a huge impact on Dana.  Dana's desire for a 'normal' mum is heartbreakingly evident from first few pages.  Unfortunately for Dana, we don't get to choose our parents, or their actions.  

This is fast paced, with plenty of plot twists to keep you both on your toes, and guessing as to what the true nature Dana's life should have been.  Dana runs away and makes contact with the father she's never met before, and who was unaware of her existence.  Trouble awaits her, as Dana knows nothing of Fae politics, nor of her father's part in them.  The Fae world is not clear cut, or as welcoming as her own.  Echoes of familiar Seely and Unseely phrases do come up in Glimmerglass, along with other steeped history.

I adore Finn's character.  He mixes chivalry with a position of security, which is unique and enticingly done.  My favourite quote from Glimmerglass is from Finn:

"I'm a knight of faerie," he said "I have been a knight since I turned 18...it is my job, and knowing full well what that job entails, I choose to do it."

Keane's character proves an eye opener, and I felt he was a refreshing character amidst the storyline..  As Finn's son, I hope we get to see and hear more about him in Shadowspell, the next in the Faeriewalker book.

Now more than ever, I can't wait to read Shadowspell!  Dana is in for a whopper of an adventure - I couldn't put this down, and my eyes were glued to the pages all the way.

Book Synopsis:
"Dana Hathaway doesn't know it yet, but she's in big trouble. When her mother, an alcoholic, shows up at her voice recital drunk, Dana decides she's had it with playing the role of her mother's keeper, so she packs her bags and travels to see her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the magical world of Faerie intersect. Dana is a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds. She has always known that her father is a big-deal Fae, but what she doesn't realize is that she could be the key to his rise in power. When she arrives in Avalon, Dana finds herself a pawn in the game of magical politics. Avalon is a place where both magic and technology work, and humans and Fae coexist in something resembling peace. How can she change the winds of fate, find a boyfriend, and make new friends when she's not sure who, if anyone, can be trusted"



Source - library.

2 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

This sounds intriguing.
Ann

Books for Company said...

Thanks for the review! l am going to buy this for my kindle now!