Monday 17 January 2011

Paranormalcy By Kiersten White

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kierstan White
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's
Published: Jan 2010
ISBN: 978-0007390113
Author's website: http://www.kierstenwhite.com

Rating: 3.5/5


The cover on this is different.  To be honest it's not one I would have bought in store just by viewing the cover by itself.  It just doesn't tell me much about the story in advance.

Evie has had a restricted life.  Found by law enforcement at a young age and having been in the foster care system, she now lives in and works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, due to her unique talent of seeing through all glamour.  The first thing that jumped out at me - Evie's taser gun.  No don't be fooled into thinking that Evie is a hard-ass quick butt kind of girl, she has her moments, but nothing like what I'd hoped....so the dry sense of humour and naming of 'Tasey' is well fit.  I liked the idea of sensored ankle cuffs.  From the outset this is a fairly no nonsense book and started off fast paced.

I enjoyed Evie's friendship with Alisha, her mermaid friend.  Reth, who makes frequent appearances throughout the book has chemistry with Evie, but is not all he appears, and adds twists to the storyline as it progresses.  I liked thee 'travel by faerie' idea.

The reason I didn't rate higher...I was disappointed with the lack of fight Evie had.  She not only accepts everything in her life thus far, it takes her forever to question her background and realise that all is not as it seems.  I anticipated a huge fight scene when Evie comes across a large gang of vampires, but was left feeling short changed by that outcome.  At this point I struggled with wanting to read more, luckily the storyline grabbed my attention before it dwindled too much.  

Evie is treated like a child, but she is classified as a level 7, higher than any other species at the IPCA...so it's no wonder that things get so out of hand when the IPCA ignore Evie and disregard her advice.  Evie has always felt alone, and the storyline shows you how she slowly gains confidence and gains a friend in Lend.

Paranormalcy is about captivity, naivety, freedom and eventually, understanding.  It is beautifully written, and I adore Lend, who is supportive and understanding.  There are so many characters in this book.  My favorite is Lend.  

My favorite quote from Paranormalcy:
"...with Lend's arm around me, and the growing hope that I'd have friends, I was elated.  There was no pressure, no one to report to, nothing I needed to do.  For the first time ever, I was just a teenager."

Book Synopsis:
"When your world is paranormal, be glad that you’re human… Exciting new author brings a fresh sassy take on paranormal romance, loved by Becca Fitzpatrick, author of HUSH, HUSH.
Sixteen-year-old Evie has always taken comfort in the fact that she is normal, even though her best friend is a mermaid and her ex-boyfriend is a lunatic – and a faery.

In a world where paranormals are monitored and controlled, Evie works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency because of her unique ability to see through glamours. But someone – or something – starts killing vampires, werewolves and other paranormals, and Evie must figure out what’s happening before they all disappear.
Then a shapeshifter named Lend breaks into the agency, and Evie is irresistibly drawn to him, even though he makes her aware that the IPCA is not as noble as she once thought. With everything Evie believes suddenly called into question, the IPCA is attacked and she must choose who she can really trust.
And when Evie discovers she’s part of a faerie prophecy of death and destruction… so much for normal."




Source: Won

1 comment:

Madigan Mirza said...

I have this book on my nightstand! I've still got a few others to plow through first, but I'm eager to read this one.
I love her dress on the cover... but I'm a sucker for floaty, corset-type gowns.