Tuesday 12 April 2011

The Woman He Loved Before by Dorothy Koomson

Title: The Woman He Loved Before
Author:  Dorothy Koomson
Published: 3rd Feb 2011
Publisher: Sphere/Little Brown Book Group
ISBN: 9781847443564
Author's website:  www.dorothykoomson.co.uk


Rating 5/5 with merits! 

The cover on this gives you a small glimpse of the storyline...Libby is reflected in the other side of the window by Eve, Jack's first wife.

Libby believes her husband is still deeply in love with his deceased wife, so when an unfortunate accident happens, Libby takes a closer look at her relationship with Jack and becomes more and more obsessed with Eve and her life as she finds out more than anyone about Eve's past in technicolour detail.

Eve's story is completely mind blowing, and not obvious from the outside.  This book took my breathe away and made my heart hammer in terror as I anticipated what was to come.  The ending was not what I thought it was going to be.  This is a very cleverly crafted book, full of very rich characters, complex relationships and persona's.  Libby's quest for truth nearly rips her marriage with Jack apart, and could cost her the ultimate price. 

My favourite quote from The Woman He Loved Before:
"My face relaxes into a smile as I realise that she really doesn't blame me for what happened,  I go to the bed, so grateful for the chance to hold her, while pushing away the guilt that I haven't told her everything about the crash."

The Woman He Loved Before is a mind blowing romance and thriller.  The tension built up gradually and had me hanging on the edge of my seat wanting to know the rest.  Every sordid detail of Eve's life was well placed.  A thoroughly enjoyable read which took me on a thrilling ride full of suspense, murder and ultimately, the truth.  Dorothy Koomson has jumped onto my top authors list, I'm looking forward to reading more books by her.

Book synopsis:
Libby has a nice life with a gorgeous husband and a big home by the sea. But over time she is becoming more unsure if Jack has ever loved her - and if he is over the death of Eve, his first wife. When fate intervenes in their relationship, Libby decides to find out all she can about the man she hastily married and the seemingly perfect Eve. Eventually Libby stumbles across some startling truths about Eve, and is soon unearthing more and more devastating family secrets. Frightened by what she finds and the damage it could cause, Libby starts to worry that she too will end up like the first woman Jack loved...Tense and moving, The Woman He Loved Before explores if the love you want is always the love you need - or deserve. 

Source - Many thanks to Little Brown Book Group, a copy was received in return for an honest review.

5 comments:

Jules said...

I have this waiting for me to read. Great review you've made me want to bump it up the TBR pile.

Jules

Jules said...

I am a new follower, I have been reading the blog for a while now :)

Jules

Michelle at Clover Hill Book Reviews said...

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your comments :) I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did & I look forward to reading your review.

Ann Summerville said...

This sounds a little like Daphne DuMaurier's Rebekah.
Ann

Unknown said...

This is the second glowing review I've read of this book. I want to read it!