Monday 26 September 2011

Sequence by Adrian Dawson

Title: Sequence
Author: Adrian Dawson
Publisher:  Last Passage
Published: Sept 2011
ISBN:  9780956577016


Rating 4/5

I like the boldness of the cover being mainly taken by the title and authors name….to be honest I’m not sure about the illustrations on the cover, as they don’t appeal to me. 

Nick follows his gut instinct as a cop when he follows a lead after an apparent murder.  He interviews a psychiatric mute patient and his world is turned upside down with what he learns and experiences, forever changing him.  He comes to accept that there are a lot of things in life that he just took for granted and didn’t know about.

Nick is a fairly passive participant as he is clueless as to what is going on, and he follows Sarah’s lead all the time.    I enjoyed Sarah’s surety and bold approach.  There are a few shockers in here that tilted my world as a reader – some of which I hadn’t thought of.  I think there may be a slight flaw in the book…but maybe that’s me over thinking it….either way it’s not something I can talk to folks about who haven’t read the book…and it’ll spoil it for you if I write about it……Sequence is a book that got under my skin and one which I enjoyed feeling as if I was participating in.

Sequence is an elaborate story of greed, power, morals and time.  The story jumps around in time frames and scenarios which took a bit of getting used to.  I found it to be a riveting read, seeing how the puzzle fitted together and how the conspiracy unfolded. From the Prologue you get a sense of things being displaced....the ruthless character who is on a rampage has language which is not in keeping to the era...this sets a tiny bit of the scene and gives a view on what is to come.

Book synopsis:

PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE COLLIDE

A naked male, dead in an alleyway with bullets that don't make sense. A note, written in 13th Century Latin secreted about his person along with the name and room number of an autistic mental patient. Fingerprints burned away and tattoos completely removed. Of all the possible duties, the last task LAPD detective Nick Lambert wanted was the drive to Oakdene to interview the girl. It gets much worse when he discovers that as well as being autistic, she's also mute.
But when an off-hand comment from the nurse piques Nick's attention, he can't help but follow the lead. What he finds will turn his entire world - his entire existence - upside down. Clues to the location of valuable stone tablets, the only tablets described in Exodus as being 'written by the hand of God'.
These are not the Ten Commandments… these are ALL the commandments, and Nick suddenly finds himself at the heart of a centuries old struggle to find, and hide, the kind of extremely valuable information that mankind was never meant to possess.
It is only when Nick realises that he was a key player in the game long before it started, and that he will be a key player long after it is over, will he discover the true importance of those around him. Nick has inadvertently stumbled into the most important human being who has ever lived. One who will not only change the world once, but will do it over and over again.
He will discover many things about the girl. What she has to hide is the most important thing of all.

Source: a review copy was received in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

This sounds great! Definitely right up my street, I think I'll have to add it to my wishlist :)