Tuesday 1 November 2011

Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman

Title: Mystery
Author: Jonathan Kellerman
Publisher: Headline
Published: October 2011
ISBN: 978 0755374489

Rating 2.5/5

The cover on this is a modern blurred picture, representing life in the fast lane I guess….not really something I’d pick up based on the cover.  It's also the first book I've read by Kellerman - I know it's book 26, but I'm not sure if they are sequential books or stand alone ones.

This looked promising, and begins when Alex takes his partner out for the last meal at their favourite hotel which is closing.  They both notice a young attractive lady who looks like a movie star or royalty…but is waiting alone and on their departure she is still there.  Two days later police detective Milo Sturgis comes to ask for some insights into a grisly murder….Alex realises it is the same attractive lady from the hotel, and the pair try to fathom out exactly who this Mystery lady was, and why she had a mutilated body.

Sadly although I read the whole book, there was very little action, and it didn’t feel very exciting as a reader.  Milo and Alex amble around and take forever to get to the bottom of things.  I found it only just kept my attention long enough for me to finish reading….by the end I was glad they’d solved it…as ¾ of the way through they still had no idea who she was, or who murdered her.  I didn’t feel I knew the characters that well – although we know Milo is gay, we don’t find out he has a partner till later…he seemingly spends a lot of time round Alex’s and his partners Robin....maybe that's something I've missed as back ground info with not reading the previous books.  

I had high hopes for this, my expectations of a thrilling book with a complex mystery didn’t quite come up to scratch…the mystery was there, without the thrill and intrigue.

Source – many thanks to Headline, a copy was received in return for an honest review.

No comments: