Saturday 25 February 2012

Spellbound by Cara Lynne Schultz

Title: Spellbound
Author: Cara Lynne Schultz
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: June 2011
ISBN: 978 0373210305

Rating: 5/5

I love the font used on the cover of this, very ornate.

Firstly, I totally adored this book.  The romance I expected, but not the detailed storyline with pertinent historical background which affected the outcome and which was a chain to be broken – the seemingly doomed romance had the right elements for me. 

I found it was a fairly quick read as I was so absorbed in the plot.  I may have swooned a couple of times over Brendon myself – the heart throb boy who lets no one in.  Emma, a teen who has had a disastrous life so far and is now living at her aunts and is the new girl at school is someone who comes out of her shell and finds exactly where she should be.  She faces unknown challenges which bring her and Brendon together, and also which forms the basis for an unlikely friendship.

I felt connected to all the characters, each of which came across really well with their personalities.  My favourite character is Brendon…especially when he saves Emma from a fight no matter what the personal cost to him.  This book had me on the edge of my seat, and I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of forever romance with teen traits.  Just when I thought a really fantastic story was over….the ending gives the lead into SpellCaster - the second in the series – which I’m really looking forward to reading.

Book synopsis:

Life hasn’t been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she’s irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can’t stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma’s been having the oddest dreams. Visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

Source - Netgalley

No comments: