Wednesday 18 July 2012

Destined by P.C. & Kirsten Cast


Title: Destined
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Publisher: Atom
Published: July 2012
ISBN:978  1905654 864

Rating 2.5/5

The pendant on the cover caught my eye on this, as apart from the title that is the only bright thing on the page!

This is the first House of Night book I’ve read, so I wasn’t sure how I would get on with the characters or the storyline.  I’ve rated it as a medium because most of the plot was transparent to me, even though it’s the first I read in the series.  I guessed from the outset who Aurox was, which took some of the surprise element away.  The start of the book is fairly emotional as Zoey faces the fact her mum is dead, having been murdered.

I loved the close relationship Zoey has with Stark, her Guardian Warrior.  I liked it when all the elements came together to find out who killed Zoey’s mum – but in all honesty I don’t know why the perpetrator wasn’t the first person on their list of suspects!  Lenobia’s friendship with one of the humans is heartbreaking when you find out her story and the reason behind her heartbreak.

All in all, I enjoyed the book, but I found it a bit too transparent.  It was a fun read with all the emotions and a sense of community within that.

Book synopsis:

Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet - which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is.
But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous boy who is actually more - or possibly less - than human. Only Zoey can sense the compassion that wars with his Dark calling.
Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect him - and everyone - from his own fate?

Many thanks to the publisher, a copy was received in return for an honest review.

No comments: