Saturday 20 October 2012

Review: Mythical Voyage by Robin Ymer



Title: Mythical Voyage
Author: Robin Ymer
Published: Dec 2010
Publisher: Savant Books and Publications
ISBN: 978 0984117567

Rating: 3.5/5

Mythical Journey is akin to a fable and folklore tale rolled into one.  The story itself is 155 pages long, with some spacer pages, some pages also have charcoal/pencil illustrations, also by the author, to offer a visual aid.

This story centres on Bibi, a Ponca (otherwise known as a unicorn).  Bibi is different to everyone else, not only a completely different colour than her peers and family, she questions everything, which Poncas do not do – Poncas accept what is there and live in the present.

Bibi and her father embark on a journey under the guidance of a Wise Ponca, so that Bibi can find her purpose in life.  What follows is a fairly light hearted journey, where Bibi gets to know her father more whilst she becomes closer to her purpose and nature. 

As I side note, I think I got more out of this book as an adult because I’ve recently been reading a lot of positive and inspiring books, so I understood the overall concept because I agree with it (or maybe I just read a lot more into the book than was there?!)  Either way it was a page turner with its gentle manner and storytelling. 

In its own right Mythical Voyage is a lovely upbeat book which evokes folklore and myth along with a fable of truth.  I won’t give the plot away, as I think this is one you should read and discover for yourself :)  Our 10 year old didn’t want to read this with me as he sees himself past unicorns now, but this one will be read with our 6 year old, I’m hoping he’ll like it as much as I did.

Book synopsis:

When a strange progeny, Bibi, is born within a colony of fantastic creatures, the Poncas, all witness the beginning of the end of a long lost legend. But Bibi's peculiar destiny is unknown to all and she and her father embark on a quest to find the answer: Will they solve the mystery of Bibi’s existence?"

Source - Thanks to the author, a copy was received in return for an honest review.


No comments: