Sunday 11 November 2012

In My Mailbox & Stacking the Shelves



 Wow, how quickly has this week gone by?!  Once again it’s time to take part in the Stacking My Shelves meme, hosted by Tyna's Reviews and In My Mailbox meme, hosted by The Story Siren.  I’ve had a fairly busy week this week, here’s what’s landed:

For review:
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
I was gobsmaked that I hadn’t come across this series before.  I now know that Dreadnought was released in 2010 and is being re-released by Tor in December.  Just look at that cover!!!  It’s totally amazing!  I can’t work out if its from a drawing or a digital cover..but it’s flippin awesome…steampunk candy heaven :)

At the start of the Civil War, a Russian mining company commissions a great machine to pave the way from Seattle to Alaska and speed up the gold rush that is beating a path to the frozen north. Inventor Leviticus Blue creates the machine, but on its first test run it malfunctions, decimating Seattle's banking district and uncovering a vein of Blight Gas that turns everyone who breathes it into the living dead. Sixteen years later Briar, Blue's widow, lives in the poor neighborhood outside the wall that's been built around the uninhabitable city. Life is tough with a ruined reputation, but she and her teenage son Ezekiel are surviving - until Zeke impetuously decides that he must reclaim his father's name from the clutches of history.


Hysteria by Megan Miranda
The synopsis on this one gave me goosebumps….I’m way overdue a must-hide-behind-the-couch book, so thought this might hit the spot!

Mallory's life is falling apart. Her boyfriend was stabbed. He bled to death in her kitchen. Mallory was the one who stabbed him. But she can't remember what happened that night. She only remembers the fear ...When Mallory's parents send her away to a boarding school, she thinks she can escape the gossip and the threats. But someone, or something, has followed her. There's the hand that touches her shoulder when she's drifting off to sleep. A voice whispering her name. And everyone knows what happened. So when a pupil is found dead, Mallory's name is on their lips. Her past can be forgotten but it's never gone. Can Mallory live with that?

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep
This sounded like a good read, a girl with a mission – I’ve just started reading it and the opening is hilarious in omg how embarrassing kind of way!

Gwen should have known that her first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. She was prepared to get into a swordfight, or be ambushed by Reapers. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? She didn't see that one coming. Gwen is accused of purposely helping the Reapers free the evil god Loki from his prison - and the person leading the charge against her is Linus Quinn, Logan's dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks she's guilty. If she's going to get out of this mess alive, she'll have to do it herself...

From the library yesterday:

Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
The heart-stopping, action-packed sequel to GLOW. Onboard the Empyrean - Seth is mysteriously released from his cell in the brig when an explosion rocks the ship. Kieran accuses Seth of causing the explosion but it has in fact been caused by a saboteur - a stowaway from the New Horizon - who is using Seth to cover his tracks. Waverly agrees to help Seth on his mission to find the stowaway, but is punished by Kieran for colluding with Seth. How will the thorny, passionate love triangle between Waverly, Seth and Kieran resolve itself?

I read Glow, and loved it, so wanted to catch up with the rest of the series.

Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel
I can’t remember the last time I read a vampire novel…well – actually maybe the last one I read was from the brilliant Alyxandra Harvey’s Drake Chronicles series, so as it’s fast approaching Twilight, Breaking Dawn Part 2 here at the cinemas, I thought I’d have a vampire book :)   I may or may not get round to reading it…

For 500 years Lenah Beaudonte has been a vampire. 500 years of seduction, blood and destruction. But she is sickened by her dark powers -- and longs to feel the sun on her skin, grass under her bare feet, and share the breath of a human kiss. She wants to be mortal again. But is she really capable of being human, after her long years of darkness? Waking up as a sixteen-year-old girl brings Lenah many things -- the life she has missed, taste, touch, love. But a vampire soul is not easily shed. And her coven -- the four vampires she led in decadence and thrilling destruction -- want their queen back ...

Magic in the Shadows by Devon Monk
Ok, so I noticed this on the library shelf and *think* I haven’t read it….problem is I’ve read a few of Monk’s Allie Breckstrom’s novels in sequence and so far I’ve only blogged about one of them, consequently I can’t remember if I’ve read this one or not <sigh>  that was the whole point of setting my blog up in the first place, as well as sharing my love for books, it’s also meant to be my reminders as to what I’ve read…D’oh!!

'Every time you use magic, it uses you back. Sure, you could magic yourself a photographic memory for that big test, for that big interview, for that big stock market job. And all it cost you was a nice case of liver failure. Or the memory of your lover's name'. Magic is Allie Beckstom's blessing and curse. As a Hound, she uses her gifts to track down practitioners who abuse their power, and then stops them from inflicting harm on unsuspecting innocents. Unfortunately her spells have taken a toll on her, physically marking her and erasing her memories - including those of the man she loves. But lost memories aren't the only things preying on Allie's thoughts. Her late father, a prominent businessman - and sorcerer - has somehow channeled himself into her mind. With the help of the Authority, a secret organization of magic users, she hopes to gain better control over her own abilities - and find a way to deal with her father...

Won:
Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham
I entered a competition and whilst I didn’t win, the host had a few copies spare so offered me one of them (thanks).  This ones gone on my tbr pile :)

A WOMAN UNLUCKY TO BE ALIVE Alison Willetts has survived a stroke, deliberately induced by a skilful manipulation of pressure points on the head and neck. She can see, hear and feel but she is completely unable to move or communicate. In leaving Alison Willetts alive, the police believe the killer's made his first mistake. A KILLER UNLIKE ANY OTHER Then DI Tom Thorne discovers the horrifying truth: it isn't Alison who is the mistake, it's the three women already dead. A COP'S WORST NIGHTMARE Thorne must find a killer whose agenda is disturbingly unique, and Alison, the one person who holds the key to the killer's identity, is unable to say anything ...

Tempting the Player by J.Lynn
I had a few books to choose from after winning a Spooktacular Giveaway Hop, so this was my choice as it’s something a little different to what I’ve currently got on my shelves :)

I’ve already read Boneshaker (awesome, loved it) Hysteria(you’ll have to wait!), and have just started Crimson Frost, both reviews on these latter two will be scheduled before their release date, as they are some way off yet.  My next reads are from last weeks mailbox.   

What’s in your mailbox this week?

3 comments:

Krystianna said...

Hysteria sounds really good. I heard great things about Fracture so I'm sure that Hysteria will be no disappointment. I've had Glow on my shelf for a while but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I guess I should really read it soon!

I hope you enjoy all of your books. :)
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Kayla's Place said...

Oooh Tempting the Player!!! I want to read that!!! I've had it on my TBR list for a while but haven't gotten to it yet. >_<

Happy Reading!!

~Kayla
Here's My IMM/STS

Monica said...

Yes Hysteria! So want to read this. Feel free to check out my IMM