Thursday 22 November 2012

Review: Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep



Title: Crimson Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Kensington
Published: December 2012
ISBN: 978 0758281463

Rating: 3/5

The cover is what attracted me to the book to begin with – I love the shades of purple used for her eyes on the cover which are complemented by her top and necklace and the statue at the top corner which almost looks like it’s resting on her shoulder gives it a sense of foreboding.  I’ve tried to review this without any spoilers.

From the start, this had me groaning and laughing out loud as Gwen, the main character haphazardly bumbles her first date with the hunk of a Spartan, Logan Quinn, spilling their drinks everywhere and rambling on as she’s nervous.  Things go from bad to worse when she’s arrested in the coffee shop.  Not only is she faced with the school gossips, the person who is arresting her is Quinn’s father…what a colossal drama to end the date with!

I haven’t read any of the previous series, but I felt this worked well as a book in its own right and I found out a lot of the history which I presume make up previous books.  

Gwen is a qwerky character.  After she is arrested although her friends stick by her, everyone else is against her.  The way she interacts with everyone was interesting to read; to have a gift where you can feel the history of objects touched, feel the emotions around you and to some pretty awesome things with that power was the plot hook for me.  I wanted to see what Gwen was going to get up to next with her talking sword and touchy feely powers.  She’s also not afraid to stand up and take a leap when everyone else is against her.  She proves why she is a Champion of a Goddess in this book.

Logan sounds like a hunk!  The chemistry between him and Gwen is so tangible, and at the end I felt every bit as emotional as Gwen did with her letter.  Logan is put in such an awkward position after his seemingly rigid father arrests Gwen and continues the trends in not listening to Logan.

I enjoyed the characters individual talents, from fighting with elegance, to fighting with brute strength and everything in between.  I also admired Gwen’s Gran.  Although I read this in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down, I did find that the storyline was fairly transparent as I worked out who was who pretty quickly.  I still stayed up to finish it as I wanted to see what would happen with the complexities of Gwen and Logan’s relationship.

Book synopsis:
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

Source – Many thanks to the publishers and Netgalley, a copy was received in return for an honest review.

No comments: