Saturday 3 November 2012

Review: Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan



Title: Glow
Author: Amy Kathleen Ryan
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Published: October 2011
ISBN: 978 0330530385

Rating 5/5 with merits

I adore the cover on this, the shades of purple and blue within the character and then the title with a half moon on the "O".  Brilliant!


This is a fast paced ride of a read - just when you think you know what's going to happen, the rug gets pulled out from under your feet and you're left gasping with comprehension at the new unforeseen twist.


The main question I had to ask myself whilst reading this - how far would I go to ensure the survival of the human race?! Themes throughout the book include conflicts, hierarchy in new situations, rivalry, deception and more.  It also made me question the sanity of dictatorship and religion within the book.

I thought this was a really exciting read, I read it cover to cover and I WANT MORE!  I love the contrast of Seth & Kieran, along with the battles that go on between them.  I'm sure there will be more.  I've just found that the sequel to Glow - Spark - is already released, hopefully mine will be here soon so I can read it - I can't wait  :)


Book synopsis:
16 years ago, Waverly and Kieran were the first children born in space. Now a perfect couple, they are the pride and joy of the whole spaceship. They represent the future. The ship is their entire world. They have never seen a stranger before. Old Earth is crumbling, and the crew is hoping to reach (and colonise) New Earth within fifty years. Along with their allies on the second spaceship - who set off a year before them and whom they have never met. One day, Kieran proposes to Waverly. That same morning, the 'allies' attack - and Kieran and Waverly are separated in the cruellest way possible. Will they ever see each other again?

Source - Many thanks to the publisher, a copy was received in return for an honest review.

No comments: