Monday 13 December 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Title: Raised by Wolves
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher: Quercus Publishing
Published: Sept 2010
ISBN: 085738029X
Author's Website: http://www.jenniferlynnbarnes.com

Rating: 5/5

The cover on this is curious, but I think a fair reflection of the main character, Bryn.

My first thoughts on this book...Oh.My! Just.....Wow!

It starts off fairly gently, and progresses with the main character in complexity to culminate in an intricate final destiny.  Bryn has been raised by wolves, and has accepted her life as it is.  She keeps the pack separate to herself, and does not participate in pack rules or the pack way of life which is all encompassing.  That is, until Chase, a boy who has been bitten, enters the pack, and Bryn's life is never the same.

Raised by Wolves raises the bar in wolf books for me.  Not only does it give detailed in depth accounts from the characters about what living in a pack may be like, it shows the inner workings of a pack, with heirachy, subordinates and a strong feeling of possession.  It shows how a pack may interact and how they link up with minds (similar to Twilight books, but for me, far more in depth).  This is the only book I've read so far that has eerily come as close as I dare get to what I imagine being a part of a wolf pack.  It's mind blowingly creepy in places, whilst still being thrilling to read.

Bryn is mischievous in places, and tries to push her luck on more than one occasion.  Bryn goes from a fairly quiet member of the pack, to a strong heroine.  I enjoyed the relationship she has with Devon.  My favourite quote from Raised by Wolves... "there wasn't an inbetween for me.  I lived at extremes.  And maybe I'd die at them too".

I was taken on a journey of discovery on this book, with Bryn alongside me.  A few parts did loose me, all in all though, it was a stunning page turner throughout.  The characters are all very vivid and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next installment to see what's in store.

Book Synopsis:
"Pack life is about order, but Bryn is about to push all the limits, with hair-raising results. At the age of four, Bryn watched a rabid werewolf brutally murder her parents. Alone in the world, she was rescued and taken in by Callum, the alpha of his pack. Now fifteen, Bryn's been as a human among werewolves, adhering to pack rule. Little fazes her. But the pack's been keeping a secret, and when Bryn goes exploring against Callum's orders, she finds Chase, a newly turned teen Were locked in a cage. Terrifying memories of the attack on her parents come flooding back. Bryn needs answers, and she needs Chase to get them. Suddenly, all allegiances to the pack no longer matter. It's Bryn and Chase against the werewolf world, whatever the consequences. A thrilling new YA adventure, with an electrifying link between a tough heroine and an exciting boy-were at its heart, Raised by Wolves will leave you howling for more." 




Source: won in a competition from Sarah's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Aylee said...

Cool, I'm adding this to my TBR. From the sounds of it, I'll like it more than 13 To Life.