Thursday 2 June 2011

The Taker by Alma Katsu

Title: The Taker
Author: Alma Katsu
Publisher: Century
Published: April 2011
ISBN: 9781846058172


Author's website 














Rating: 4/5


The cover on this is fairly ornate with the rose detail alongside the title.


This was a Waiting On Wednesday for me....I loved the idea and the intrigue behind the synopsis.  On the cover it says it's an immortal love story.  After reading it, I'm torn on that statement to be honest, and I'll explain why as I review it.  


The book itself had me hooked.  I could see parts of what was to come...Lanny is brought into the hospital and is the major suspect of a murder.  Luke, an A&E doctor is immediately taken with her, and as Lanny unravels her story to him  to let him understand her position, they develop a bond.  Lanny's story is one of complete naïvety as her story begins.  She falls hopelessly in love and throughout her time in her village she continues making excuses for Jonathan - the one she loves - even though he's above her social position and is a lady's man.  Ultimately her life changes forever and she's outcast, which in turn has disastrous outcomes.  Lanny is taken under the wing of Adair, who is a complex man with plenty of layers to his character.


I was mesmorised reading this.  Adair's story was intriguing and believable....very complex (and I'll say no more on that, other than he's a great character!).  I started off thinking that Adair and his companions were vampires...which they aren't...so that made a change!  They do have a sinister trait to them that seemed as nasty, if not more wicked than vampires though IMO.  


As I said, Lanny falls head over heels in love with Jonathan.  They are childhood friends and she will do anything for him.  Sadly it is one sided and Jonathan's philandering ways mean he can't keep to just one woman, which is heartbreaking for Lanny.  Lanny isn't his forever love...Jonathan is a taker, not a giver, and sees Lanny as his best friend with occasional benefits.  I don't think Jonathan is actually capable of love. Lanny is obsessive in her behaviour toward Jonathan and ultimately this costs dear.  From that point of view if immortal love can be one sided, I'm sure Lanny has enough love for both her and Jonathan.  The situation which comes full circle for Lanny had me in tears though!  I knew what was coming, but that didn't make it any easier to read.  Although this is a story about immortals...I'll have to agree to disagree on the immortal love part.  


I can see the opportunities ahead for the next book and I'm intrigued to know what is to come.  A very readable and different book.  




Source - library

2 comments:

Leanna Elle said...

I loved this book. The characters were so complex and I totally got into the story. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

My ears picked up when I read @immortal love story@ totally swoon. I adore that cover. Am going to look out for this one. Great review