Monday 12 September 2011

The Hunter by Tom Wood

Title: The Hunter
Author: Tom Wood
Publisher: Sphere
Published: May 2011
ISBN: 978 0 7515 45302

Rating: 4/5

The cover on this shows a partial shoulder shot of how I envisage Victor, the assassin to look like, along with a scene below him.

The reverse of the book tells you to “forget James Bond.  Forget Jason Bourne.  Forget Jack Bauer. Meet Victor”.   A bold statement and invitation – I really enjoy all three, and enjoyed The Hunter just as much.  The suspense all the way through in finding out who Victors enemies are had me on the edge all the way through, especially when he is joined by Rebecca Sumner, both trying to find answers.  Trust is a big issue, and just as Victor comes close to some semblance of a relationship with Rebecca things take a different turn…and he re evaluates to get closer to his enemy.

Victor is a formidable character, he comes across as extremely professional, finding it hard to trust and break his way of life.  The emotional element of this brick wall of a man who seemed impossible to break is really enjoyable.  The twists and turns of this book kept me (and hubby) reading constantly until we’d finished – I had to wrestle this out of DH’s mitts to read it first, and I was so pleased I did :)

I am in awe of Tom Wood – who has made this a smashing debut book.  I did find it tough going to start with, remembering who was who.  Once I’d grasped the plot it was really difficult to put down.  I’m really looking forward to reading more of Tom Woods books :)

Book trailer:


Book synopsis:
Forget James Bond. 
Forget Jason Bourne. 
Forget Jack Bauer. 
Meet Victor. 

He's an assassin - a man with no past and no surname. But when a
Paris job goes spectacularly wrong, Victor finds himself running for his life across four continents, accompanied by a woman too beautiful to trust, pursued by enemies too powerful to escape.


Many thanks to Sphere - a review copy was received for an honest review.

No comments: