Saturday 11 February 2012

Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott

Title: Shadows on the Moon
Author: Zoe Marriott
Publisher: Walker Books
Published: July 2011
ISBN: 978 1406318159

Rating: 5/5

I love the cover on this – even with a glance you can tell the content is likely to be oriental!

Suzume can’t be herself.  The story starts as it means to go on & is fairly fast paced.  Not only does it give you a real sense of the oriental, I felt as if I was in the story. 

My favourite character out of the whole book is Akira.  Who’d have thought???!!!  I’m not saying any more :x  Suffice to say that the storyline pulls you in and what is at face value isn’t all it appears to be!  I would love to have a story just about Akira, the character and history has me that intrigued.

Overall this is a book I could re-read – and I can’t say that about many books as I prefer to read once and then not look back…but this is in league with Memoirs of a Geisha, which I also thoroughly enjoyed – the difference being I’d choose to read this again, and not the other book!

I hope there’s more to come for Suzume….or at least more along a similar vein…
Book synopsis:
Trained in the magical art of shadow-weaving, sixteen-year-old Suzume is able to recreate herself in any form – a fabulous gift for a girl desperate to escape her past. But who is she really? Is she a girl of noble birth living under the tyranny of her mother’s new husband, Lord Terayama, or a lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama’s kitchens, or Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands? Whatever her true identity, Suzume is destined to capture the heart of a prince – and determined to use his power to destroy Terayama. And nothing will stop her, not even love.

Source – won.

No comments: