Wednesday 11 April 2012

Blade 1 Enemies by Tim Bowler

Title: Blade 1: Enemies
Author: Tim Bowler
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Published: Feb 2012
ISBN: 978 019276360 0

Rating 4/5

The cover on this is eye catching with the colours used and the illustrations demonstrating snippets of what the main character may get up to.

From the start of this book I was surprised.  There’s nothing ordinary about a boy with a blade in a police station and his story which unfolds in Chapter One; but in Chapter Two I realised just how young the main character was – which shocked me.

This is fast paced – with a big shocking twist towards the end which I didn’t predict.  Blade is one persona he uses – even though he talks to the reader as a companion, I didn’t feel I knew him well as he was fairly secretive, which I think was part of the intrigue surrounding his character which is so well done, as he’s a fantastic character.  We don’t find out much about his past – just about how he survives and how he interacts with those around him.

I found this a very quick read.  My favourite character in this without a doubt is Blade.

Book synopsis:
So what am I going to tell you? Not much so don't get excited. You probably want to know my name. Well, that's a bit of a problem. I got loads. But there is one name I like. Everybody called me it in the old days. No one does now cos no one in this city knows it. And that's fine. I don't like to remember. But I do like the name. You can use it if you want. BLADE. Previously published in two parts as Blade: Playing Dead and Blade: Closing In, this is a stunning new package for this groundbreaking series. Narrated by Blade himself, be prepared to enter his world. It's not pretty . . . it's urban, real and dangerous. As Blade's story unfolds, readers will become completely hooked by this unforgettable character. 


Source – received in return for an honest review from the publisher.

No comments: