Friday 9 November 2012

Review: Imago Chronicles: Book One, A Warrior's Tale by L.T.Suzuki



Title: Imago Chronicles: Book One, A Warrior’s Tale
Author: L.T. Suzuki
Published: August 2010
ISBN: 0986724025

Rating: 3/5

The cover on this worked really well on my first non colour ereader, however if this was in physical format it’s probably not one that would jump out at me to buy from the cover unless it was presented differently.

Nayla Treeborn (love that name!) has a destiny awaiting her.  When the story begins she doesn’t seem much like a likely warrior, as her father is beating her to an inch of her life and she’s left unconscious.  Nayla does have a protector, one who sees to it that she can escape from her father and set about on her journey to gain foes in her mission of calling to arms.  As she struggles to survive when she is caught unawares by the environment and harsh conditions, I got a sense of just how hard headed she was, and a glimpse of the warrior to come.

Nayla gets taken under the wing of a Master, and so begins her education of becoming a warrior.  To me, there is a similarity between the relationship of Nayla and her Master, to the first edition of Karate Kid movie…that kind of tough love that didn’t seem to be building her up, but which makes her all the stronger and often in unseen ways.

At this point, my ereader crashed, never to return from the electrical outlet  :(   I was gutted as I lost all my ebooks including this one which I was reading.  Since then I’ve gone on to an Android tablet with reading apps on.  A Warriors Tale has always been in the back of my mind to take up again, but I’ve not made the jump back as yet.  So many books, so little time!  I enjoyed Nayla’s strength of character – I think the author draws heavily from her own training and mastering of martial arts to be able to detail just how Nayla progresses. 


Book Synopsis:
"Imago Chronicles: Book One, A Warrior's Tale" begins at the height of the turmoil that shall determine if indeed there will be a Third Age of Peace. Besieged by the enemy from the east and now immersed in war with soldiers of the Dark Army from the west, Nayla Treeborn and her people are about to engage in the next great war that will decide the fate of all mankind and Elves in Imago. In a desperate attempt to deliver word to the Elf king of Wyndwood and those of the alliance for a call to arms, she is the last surviving messenger sent forth by her people. Now, trapped in a storm at the top of the world, she fights to survive the deadly elements in a strange land.Despised by Elves and shunned by mortals, she must now find the courage to make a place in this world, and the compassion to save those who keep her at arm's length. This adventure recounts the defining moments in Nayla's life that had forged her into a deadly warrior, a great captain and a legend amongst the people of Imago.

Source – Many thanks to the author, a copy was received in return for an honest review.  My deepest apologies for not putting my review of this online a lot sooner & thank you for your patience.

Any errors in my review and reflecting on the content are mine alone.  I read this back when my blog was in its infancy, and neglected to do the review as soon as I should have done, so I hope I’ve done the book justice in remembering correctly what I read.  

No comments: