Friday 9 November 2012

Triumph over Tragedy Project



I’ve been asked to help get the word out on a project to help the people hurt by superstorm Sandy.  The following is a guest post from author R.T. Kaelin:


 A day or so after the storm hit, I wrote this at my blog:


So, like most of you over the past few days, I’ve been watching the terror that was Sandy rip through the northeast. The images coming out from the region are astounding.

 In past tragedies, I’ve donated some money to the Red Cross, but I’ve always felt like it was inadequate.

 “Hey, you lost your home? Man, that stinks. Here’s fifty bucks. I gotta hop in my car now, get a cup of coffee and go off to work. What’s that? Your car and job are gone? Ooohh…”

 This time, I’d like to do something more.

 So, fellow authors. I’d like to put together an anthology of donated short stories, sell them via eBook, and donate 100% of the proceeds to the Red Cross for relief efforts. Granted, this will take time to put together, but I'll bet you people will still be struggling with things a couple months from now.

 I’m reaching out to the few folks I’ve come into contact with in the past few years, but would love to hear from anyone interested. Share this post.

 The theme of the anthology is simple: triumph over tragedy. Fantasy (traditional or urban), sci-fi, mystery, pulp, romance, action…I don’t much care. The more variety, the better. I would love for this to appeal to a wide fan base to get as much money as possible for the victims of Sandy.

 If interested in donating a story, 3-5k words in length (after all, we want to get this together quickly), contact me at rtkaelin@terrene.info. Or send me a message via Twitter @AuthorRTKaelin

 Good days ahead.

 --R.T.

Within a few days, I had 30+ authors volunteer to help, including Hugo and Nebula award-winner Robert Silverberg, Michael J. Sullivan, Bradley P. Beaulieu, Phillip Athans, Stephen D. Sullivan, Jean Rabe, Maxwell Alexander Drake, and many more.

While we’re working on our stories and compiling the anthology, we’ve set up a site at IndieGoGo to gather donations (where you can also see the just-released cover art).
 
100% of the proceeds go to the American Red Cross.

Spread the word if you can. Blog about it, tweet about it, post it on Facebook. People can donate money to help and will get a massive collection of short stories to enjoy.

Thank you.


Sincerely,
 R.T. Kaelin

No comments: