Friday 16 November 2012

Review: Luminosity by Stephanie Thomas



Title: Luminosity
Author: Stephanie Thomas
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Published: November 2012
ISBN: 978-1620611272

Rating: 3/5

The cover on this attracted me to the book first; I like the dark colours in the background contrasting with the pale skin and raven wing tattoo on the model’s eyelids.

From the very start this had an inevitable feel surrounding the pages.  Beatrice’s reoccurring visions and dreams in addition to the capture of the Dreamcatcher Paradigm impacts even more on the seemingly pre-ordained storyline.   It was obvious from Bea’s reaction to Gabe that she wants to be more than friends.  I like Gabe, he comes across as a strong character who really cares for Bea, even if he can’t express it. 

As the storyline progresses, I began to question why the Seers were so intent on killing the Dreamcatchers when it was painfully clear they knew little of their enemies history, the reason for the war between them and what I found even more unsettling was that they didn’t know their own history or heritage other than what they had been told, which amounted to hardly anything.  The evasive tactics used by the Seers and more importantly by the Keeper who orchestrates most of what happens can be a jolt to the system.  They go from training one day, into having to train with live rounds; something they’ve never done.

I must admit, I was hooked on reading this through to the end.  I think the combination of visions and dreams that Bea kept having, along with the desire to know who she would choose to stay or go with – the reliable Gabe, or the ominous Echo who has been communicating with her in her dreams, insisting that they are meant to save each other even though they are polar opposites and sworn enemies.  Personally if it wasn’t for the level of violence I would have pegged this at a slightly lower age group…but the fighting and way in which Seers and Dreamcatchers die negate that idea.

I was routing for Bea and Gabe all the way through.  Whilst this kept me wanting to read on, I’ve given it a mid range rating because for me there were too many blanks.  Even though Bea can see the future through her visions she Sees nothing past having to make and see through the choice between Gabe and Echo.  Now I know which choice she made, I do want to read more, just so I can find out what is in store for them all, I didn’t get the sense that this story has ended, I hope I’m right!

Book synopsis:
My name is Beatrice. When I was born, I was blessed with the Sight. I was immediately removed from my parents and enrolled in the Institution. At the age of twelve, I had my first true vision, earning my raven's wings. And when I turned seventeen, one of my visions came true. Things haven't been the same since.
The Institution depends on me to keep the City safe from our enemy, the Dreamcatchers, but I'm finding it harder to do while keeping a secret from everyone, including my best friend Gabe. It is a secret that could put us all in danger. A secret that could kill me and everyone close to me.
The enemy has been coming to me in my dreams, and I think I'm falling in love with him. He says they're coming. He says they're angry. And I think I've already helped them win.

Source – Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley, an ecopy was received in return for an honest review.

No comments: